Saturday, January 28, 2006

some kind of cash grab


Let me first say that I used to be a pretty loyal Metallica fan. I think I started to lose interest after the black album. I think even on the black album, they lost the fire a bit. But when "LOAD" came out, that was the first nail in the coffin. Since then, they promptly began to suck more and more. I never heard "RELOAD" or ST. ANGER" and I'm quite certain I don't need to either.

Then I watched "SOME KIND OF MONSTER" without really knowing much about it at all. This movie confirms how fucking lame this band has become. Lars and James continually whine throughout the whole movie. Kirk Hammett is the only one who has anything remotely sensible to say in the movie. It's pathetic that they have to pay a personal therapist 40,000 bucks a month to tell them absotely nothing. Every time I see his face and hear him talk in the movie, I want to crush his skull.

I think in a way, Bob Rock is responsible (in no small way) for Metallica going down the toilet. Bob Rock is the most fake excuse for a human being I've ever seen and he's a totally over-rated producer. Does he even realize how full of himself he really is? I don't think he does. I couldn't believe seeing Bob Rock playing bass in the studio with them. It was too painful.

Metallica should call it quits. It's clear they have no ideas anymore. I just cannot believe that this is the same band that put out "Kill em all" and "Ride the lightning". Even original member Dave Mustaine is in this movie, and he does nothing but whine.

In short, this movie was obviously nothing but a cash grab. It won't be long before the various greatest hits packages and floods of re-issues hit the shelves.

1 comment:

Bret Taylor said...

Yeah, that was pretty goddamn disillusioning. Not as much of a shock now, but imagine finding out 15 years ago that James fuckin' Hetfield was such a needy bitch.

Hopefully Rob Trujillo will have some kind of positive effect on them, but I'm not holdin' my breath.