Thursday, June 08, 2006

SANTANA LOTUS

If you're a SANTANA fan, you should definitely obtain a copy of the new Japanese re-issue of LOTUS in the mini LP-style paper sleeve. I'm a big fan of these little paper sleeve versions of CD's and I have quite a few. I even bought paper sleeve versions of CD's I already own, that's how much I like them. I know it's crazy, but I guess it's the collector in me.

Anyway, this is a combination of 2 live shows that were done in Osaka in 1973, part of Japan tour in support of the Caravanserai album. If you are familiar with the original LP pressing of this which only came out in Japan, you'll know that it has some pretty eye-popping artwork and packaging, one of the most elaborate record sleeves ever.

Of course the scaled down version is every bit true to the original, right down to photocopied flyers that came with it at the time. It's an 11-part sleeve, that was designed by Yokoo Tadanori, and is expected to enter the Guinness Book of World Records this month as the biggest record packaging ever. It was also really fucking expensive to produce, with Japan at the time suffering from high paper prices resulting from the "oil shock". This legendary package has 22 sides and folds out like a lotus blossom. When you put the different fold-outs together, it's supposed to form some kind of trippy-dippy "dimension" cube.

Awesome package, but let's not forget the music! This album captured Santana in their peak and is considered one of the best live albums ever recorded. I'd have to agree. Santana is on fucking FIRE here!!! His best guitar playing ever, sometimes bordering on chaos. My favorite track the 16 minute masterpeice "Incident at Neshabur", my favorite Santana song of all time. If you listen to the full 2 hour set with no breaks, you'll be satisfyingly exhausted.

Anyway, I'll say no more. Listen to it for yourself. Also check out CARLOS SANTANA/BUDDY MILES (another equally great live album), C. SANTANA/JOHN McLAUGHLIN -LOVE DEVOTION SURRENDER, MOONFLOWER, SANTANA 3, WELCOME! and CARAVANSERAI, all great albums. Stay away from his newer shit like SUPERNATURAL and ALL THAT I AM because that's what it is. SHIT. Looks like he's lost the fire...

No comments: