Friday, January 25, 2008

Rufus Wainwright Live: Monday 21 January 2008 at Namba Hatch

Well, what can say about about Rufus and his Monday night performance at Namba Hatch here in Osaka? It was first time ever to see Rufus Wainwright live and I wasn't disappointed with the performance itself, but I would've like to hear more stuff from Want 1 and Want 2, but he played mostly stuff from his new album RELEASE THE STARS, which I wasn't too impressed with. Live, it sounds great, but that was the first Rufus studio album that I traded a few weeks later. He also did a few selections from his October release, "Rufus Does Judy At Carnegie Hall", a 2 CD set that tries to recreate Judy Garland's performance at the infamous Carnegie Hall. Seems like a gay choice to me, but then again, Rufus is gay, so I guess it's OK.

He changed outfits about 3 times. During the 1st set, he was wearing this over-the-top white Elvis-like outfit with gold and glittery shit all over it, then he came out in the 2nd set wearing a green schoolboy uniform, r maybe it was a gay lumberjack uniform, I'm not quite sure actually. If he would've been wearing lime green tights and a green hat with a feather in it, he could've passed as Peter Pan. Then for the encore he wore black stockings, high heels and from the waist up he was wearing a penguin-type suit. How GAY!

Rufus can be a bit overly flamboyant about his gayness, kinda like Elton John, but I can excuse it because he's such a damn good singer/songwriter and performer. Doesn't surprise me, I mean, his whole family is famous, his mother Kate McGarrigle (half of the now famous folk duo of Kate and Anna McGarrigle), his dad Loudon Wainwright and now his sister, Martha, who I still haven't heard, but look forward to hearing.

The show was about 2 hours, good length, tickets were way too expensive in my opinion at 7,000 yen (about 70 bucks). But that's Japan. Shit, you pay 25 or 30 bucks just to see a minor metal act in this country.

By the way, RELEASE THE STARS is one of the WORST album covers I've ever seen.

No comments: