Wednesday, October 03, 2007

PAT METHENY Secret Story Re-issue

I have been anticipating this release for awhile since it was announced on Pat's site a few months back. Even though I own the original, this re-issue is certainly worth getting just for the bonus disc, which contains extra 5 tracks.

This is the first Pat Metheny CD I ever owned, so that's probably one reason why I still tend to like this one so much. I remember the day I walked into a small used shop in PEI and this was playing on the stereo. I was immediately hooked and I asked the guy what it was, he showed the cover to me, and I asked him if it was for sale. I quickly snapped it up after he said YES.

This is NOT really a jazz album, it's more like a soundtrack to a movie, very cinematic and breathtaking. Many people think this is one of Pat's worst albums just because it's too "world" and not jazz. Yes, it does contain some world instruments and a Cambodian choir on the first track, so I guess it's world, but who gives a shit. It's just a great album to me. Yeah, it's kinda gay and cheesy, but I'm one appreciates good cheese and Pat Metheny is definitely top quality cheddar in my book.

I haven't really compared the remaster to the original, but it sounds great to these ears. I remember the original sounding really good, so I can't imagine how it could be better, but I'll have to closely compare them one of these days.

No comments: