Monday, October 15, 2007

BLOODCOUNT - Seconds

This is a triple disc set which captures both the quartet and quintet version of Bloodcount. I've finally had time to digest it so I guess I'm ready to review it. Listened to the discs twice, and the stand-out disc for me is the first one, which contains 3 lengthy compositions, SCRAP METAL, YES, DEAR and MR. JOHNSON. Great production, very clean, but yet not too polished. Michael Formanek shines on both discs, and the interplay between Tim and Chris Speed is magic.

The second live disc contains more bluesy groove-oriented compositions, and is actually quite accessible for Tim Berne. I'm a bit disappointed that Marc Ducret is only on the DVD and not the other CD's, but that's no biggie.

The DVD is a little disappointing in my opinion, it's badly shot and it gives me a fucking headache looking if I stare at it too long. It's too shaky in most places and there's way too many annoying close-ups. It's mostly b/w with some color sequences of the band running around Paris. There's a few places where it looks like very short clips of erotic movies were thrown in for good measure. Why, I don't know.I think I'll extract the audio and just listen to the music, which is awesome. Marc Ducret really fuckin' rips it up on this version on EYE CONTACT.

As always, great package design Steve Byram, this time not his usual scribblings and fuckery but a more minimalist Byram. Looks like he's been playing with Adobe Illustrator, gettin' more digital and shit on us.

More good news is that Bloodcount is going to tour with some new material, which means we may see some future Bloodcount releases. let's hope so. For now, we have a nice blast from the past to tide us over until the next Bloodcount meal...

No comments: