Thursday, March 08, 2007

FAST FOOD NATION (the movie)

What can I say? I had high expectations for this film, but it was one of the most boring films I've ever seen. I usually love Richard Linklater, especially SLACKER and DAZED AND CONFUSED, but this just sucks. If you've seen the trailer, you've seen the whole fucking film, so save your money.

There is no plot, just lots of crap info that I already know. The movie only has two ideas really. One is that Mexican immigrants are being injured, sexually harassed and otherwise mistreated in meatpacking plants (though the movie points out that they're getting paid 30 times what they'd earn back home, where working conditions are less safe).Boo Hoo, it's nothing I don't already know.

The other is that traces of shit can get end up getting mixed in with our burgers. "We all have to eat a little s - - t from time to time," is how Bruce Willis puts it. But about halfway through, the movie loses interest in that subject, since the bacteria are killed in the cooking process. And what are we supposed to eat if we don't want E. coli in our food - spinach? If you eat, you eat germs. No big fucking deal. If you don't like fast food, don't fucking eat it.

The film begins with Greg Kinnear (an actor I've never really liked) as an exec at the fast food chain "Mickey's" who wanders around Colorado asking questions about where his burgers are coming from. There's quite a few famous actors including Bruce Willis, Ethan Hawke, Kris Kristofferson but they just do a few stupid cameos.

I can't imagine author Eric Schlosser approving this film. I know it's based very loosely on the book of the same name, but don't bother with the movie, just read the book. The book is great.

No comments: