Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Brokeback Mountain


The only reason I watched this film in the first place is because my wife kept bugging me to download it because she wanted to see it. All she told me was that it was a "gay cowboy drama movie" based on true events back in the 60's somewhere in bumfuck USA. So my first reaction was a little mixed.

I did some research to find out that Ang Lee was the director. I'd only seen 2 other movies of his, HULK, which was OK, and the somewhat over-hyped CROUCHING TIGER HIDDEN DRAGON. So I thought it might not be so bad.

First of all, let me just say that I'm not gay, but I have nothing against people who are. I'm also not a homophobe or a gay basher or anything like that. In my opinion, love is love, and if a man happens to love another man, well, that's his choice and it should be respected. Doesn't have to be understood, just respected. So if you're going to watch this movie you obviously have to have an open mind. In other words, rednecks and racists need not apply.

I was very pleasantly surprised at how good this film is. Everything works on a grand scale. Great acting, great cinematography, good script and an awesome soundtrack of existing tunes plus beautiful sparse compositions written especially for the film by Gustavo Santaolalla, who also did music for the recent film MOTORCYCLE DIARIES.

What surprises me is that nothing is contrived, and Hollywood is not deceiving us with any tricks here or false emotions. It's a very simple story told with brutal truth and sincerity. It's the story of 2 men's lives and that's it. It doesn't matter what orientation you are, gay or straight, this movie will move you. I think it will definitely make many people think differently about same-sex relationships, life and love after watching this film.

Anyway, check it out for yourself. You can read tons more reviews on amazon or imdb, so draw your own opinions...

No comments: