Thursday, July 19, 2007

A Fine Frenzy - One Cell In The Sea

Damn, I gotta say I'm pretty impressed with this album. This is a totally new band to me and I just picked this CD up on a whim, I just had a feeling that this was going to be good and bet your boots it is. Rarely am I so impressed with a debut pop effort, I think the last time was Dot Allison's debut CD, Afterglow.

Anyway, every tune is good. The songs have a very haunting and subtle beauty reminding me a bit of Beth Orton's music, a little Tori Amos, and a little Sarah McLaughlin. Can't help but hearing some hints of The Sundays as well. Alison Sudol's voice is absolutely yummy. She wraps herself around each tune perfectly. By the way, she's drop dead beautiful as well, I can't help but getting a bit of a woody when I hear her and look at the album cover shot of her. Anyway, my woody is not as important as the music itself.

To me, they're all standouts, there's no filler here. Just buy it, you'll fall in love with this band. Also great artwork by Alison Sudol with the help of some other fine people. This is just a perfect debut. Can't wait to hear more...

No comments: