Thursday, June 14, 2007

SABBAT re-issues

I posted this review of "Dreamweaver" back on my TOP 25 Metal Albums of All Time post in February 2006: you can find the full post HERE

"One of the most sadly overlooked metal albums by one of the most sadly overlooked bands ever. I think this is THE BEST metal act to come out of the UK, period. It's a shame that this has never been re-issued , considering all the crap that IS being re-issued (and re-issued again...) that doesn't need to be. How many fucking times has the Motley Crue catalogue been re-issued? Answer: Too many. I'm not pissing on MC, just one example, I actually like the Crue's first 3 albums. Anyway, I digress. This is like taking "LORD OF THE RINGS" and making it into a metal musical. That's the best way I can describe it. Extremely tight songwriting and arrangements, awesome rapid-fire vocals from Martin Walkyier (who's now in another band called SKYCLAD) great sound, great concept (based on the book "The Way of Wryd" by Brian Bates) quite simply a perfect thrash album. Grab it if you can find it."

Well, I am very happy to finally find out that these have been finally re-issued. These are essential for any serious fan of 80's thrash. I picked up "Dreamweaver" but haven't been able to find "History of a Time to Come" yet, which is their first album. In my opinion, Dreamweaver is the better of the 2, but "History of a Time to Come" is not far behind, it basically set the stage for what was to come.

Pretty good re-mastering job on DREAMWEAVER, not drastically different from the original. But it's worth it just for the expanded notes and the 3 bonus live tracks. The only thing I'm not happy with, being the anal graphic designer that I am, is the cover reproduction, it's too dark and the small details are lost. Looks like they scanned the LP cover, took it into Photoshop and put the despeckle effect on it. Too bad there weren't more obscure metal albums coming out with the Japanese paper sleeve treatment. Japan's the only place they can seem to do it right.

No comments: